On the authority of Abu Ad-Dardaa’ (ra), RasulAllah (saw) said:
«العلماء ورثة الأنبياء»
“The scholars are the inheritors of the Prophets.” [Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi]
For this high rank and responsibility that Allah (swt) has placed upon your shoulders, we have decided to address you, hoping that we will all be among those who stand for truth, and do not fear anyone other than Allah (swt).
Brothers and virtuous scholars:
The scholars are the inheritors of the Prophets in their Iman, knowledge, deeds, and courageous stands for the truth. But where are the scholars of this age? Where are the inheritors of the Prophets today?
While the great Muslim scholars of our past were known for their abundant knowledge and their profound understanding of the Deen, what made them truly great were their courageous stands for the truth and their firm challenging of the errors of their time. Examples such as:
- Abdullah bin Abbas (ra) stood firm against the Khawarij
- Saeed bin Jubair (ra) stood courageously against the tyranny of Al-Hajjaj bin Yusuf
- Sufyan Al-Thawri (rh) refused to even touch the letter from Harun Al-Rashid because he believed that it came from an oppressor. He ordered one of his companions to turn the letter over and write on its back: “To Harun” and not “To Ameer Al Mu’mineen,” and said (in summary): “You decided by yourself to deal with the money of the Muslims as you wished, so you are an oppressor, and I shall testify against you”
- Abu Hanifah (rh) was not satisfied with the leadership of Al-Mansour in general. His mother told him one day when he was in prison, “O Nu’man, this knowledge did not benefit you, except in getting beaten and imprisoned, and this is enough for you to abandon it.” He answered her, “O mother, if I desired the world I would have achieved that, but I wanted Allah (swt) to know that I safeguarded the knowledge I was given and did not submit myself with it to doom”
- Ahmad bin Hanbal (rh) was urged by his uncle, when he was in prison, to refrain from publicly opposing the opinion held by Al-Mutassim. He replied: “If the scholars do not speak the truth, and thus the people ignore it, so how then will the truth ever be known?”
These are just a few of the stances of great Muslim scholars of the past, so where are the great Muslims scholars of today? What are your stances on the Ummah’s current issues? Where do you stand regarding the saying of Imam Al-Ghazali (rh): “The corruption of the people is due to the corruption of the rulers, and the corruption of the rulers is due to the corruption of the scholars”? Where do you stand regarding Allah’s (swt) command to:
﴿وَإِذ أَخَذَ اللَّهُ ميثاقَ الَّذينَ أوتُوا الكِتابَ لَتُبَيِّنُنَّهُ لِلنّاسِ وَلا تَكتُمونَهُ﴾
“(And remember) when Allah took a covenant from those who were given the Scripture to make it (the truth and the Message) known and clear to mankind, and not to hide it.” [3:187]
People without the Ulemaa’ are lost in ignorance and easy prey to the Shayateen among men and Jinn. Hence, the Ulemaa’ are a blessing from Allah (swt) for the people on earth, and are the lanterns in the darkness, the leaders of guidance, and the proof of Allah (swt) on His earth; through them, misguided ideas are countered, and the clouds of doubt are cleared from the hearts and minds of the people. The Messenger of Allah (saw) likened them to the stars when he said:
«إِنَّ مَثَلَ الْعُلَمَاءِ فِي الأَرْضِ كَمَثَلِ نُجُومِ السَّمَاءِ ، يُهْتَدَى بِهَا فِي ظُلُمَاتِ الْبَرِّ وَالْبَحْر، فَإِذَا انْطَمَسَتِ النُّجُومُ يُوشِكُ أَنْ تَضِلَّ الْهُدَاةُ»
“Truly, the Ulemaa’ on the earth are like the stars in the sky; people are guided through them in the darkness of the land and sea, and if they are hidden, the traveler will lose his way.” [Ahmad]
Given this responsibility that Allah (swt) has entrusted you with, we remind you, as your brothers that you can follow in the footsteps of the great scholars to:
- Hold accountable the rulers in the Muslim world: Whether it’s the tyranny of al-Assad or Al-Sisi directly assaulting the Ummah, or the Saudi government conducting bombing raids on our brothers and sisters in Yemen, the scholars must raise their voices against this treachery.
- Reveal the dangers of the colonial powers to the Ummah and humanity: With the election of the former reality show star, Donald Trump, Allah (swt) has made it easier for us to expose the corruption of the liberal secular elite and their policies. We see the colonial powers – the US, UK and Russia – plotting in the open and in secret against this Ummah specifically, and against humanity in general; whether it’s the abuse of the natives in South Dakota, or the continued intervention in Iraq and Syria, the economic, political, and military policies have brought much poverty and hardships to Mankind, animals, and the environment. If the Ulemaa’ do not call out such policies, who then will guide the Ummah and humanity to what is right?
We would like to conclude this advice with a reminder from our beloved Messenger (saw), as narrated in the Hadith:
«أَلاَ لاَ يَمْنَعَنَّ أَحَدَكُمْ هَيْبَةُ النَّاسِ أَنْ يَقُولَ بِحَقٍ إِذَا رَآهُ أَوْ شَهِدَهُ، فَإِنَّهُ لاَ يُقَرِّبُ مِنْ أَجَلٍ وَلاَ يُبَاعِدُ مِنْ رِزْقٍ أَنْ يَقُولَ بِحَقٍّ أَوْ يُذَكِّرَ بِعَظِيمٍ»
“Do not let fear of people prevent you from speaking the truth when you see it; speaking the truth and doing what is right will never advance your Ajal nor prevent Rizq.” [Ahmad, Ibn Habban, Ibn Majah]
May Allah (swt) keep our feet firm and resurrect us as brothers and sisters in Jannat Al-Firdous.
Hizb ut Tahrir Canada
25 Rabii’ al-Awwal 1438 AH
December, 24 2016 CE