Three members of Hizb ut Tahrir who were arrested by the Johor Islamic Religious Department (JAINJ) on 06/04/2019 during a seminar “The Fall and Rise of the Khilafah Against the Liberal Threats” have been charged at the Johor Bahru Shariah High Court on 02/07/2019, before the Sharie Judge Syahrulnizam Saat. The accused, Dr. Salehuddin Bin Ibrahim, 51 and Dr. Norazlan Shah Bin Osman Basah, 35, were charged under Section 11 (1) of the Shariah Criminal Offenses (Johor) Enactment 1997 for teaching matters relating to the religion of Islam without a Tauliyyah (credential) while Sallahuddin Bin Mashkuri, 39, was charged under section 43 (c) of the same Enactment for abetting, offences of which upon conviction, be liable to a fine not exceeding five thousand ringgit or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three years or to both.
Hizb ut Tahrir / Malaysia hereby asserts:
(1) JAINJ’s action is very shameful because JAINJ is supposed to be the caretaker of Islam and Islamic preachers, as well as providing aid to efforts of Da’wah in the society. On the contrary, the arrest and prosecution that took place demonstrates that JAINJ is but a barrier to Da’wah activities;
(2) The Da’wah carried out by Hizb ut Tahrir is an obligation that comes from Allah (swt) and His Messenger ﷺ and it is a noble duty upon every Muslim to do the same without requiring permission from any party. Delivering Da’wah is not an offense, let alone a crime that would end up in court!
(3) JAINJ should focus more effort in combating the various vices and crimes that are detrimental to the society instead of arresting and prosecuting those who are carrying out Da’wah for the good of society, especially in Johor;
(4) The arrest and prosecution of members of Hizb ut Tahrir will never stop our Da’wah, but instead, it will continue to be the motivating factor for Hizb ut Tahrir to work harder in carrying out this noble duty and obligation;
(5) Even though we have pledged to fight this case up to the highest court, but since we want goodness for JAINJ, we hereby advise JAINJ amicably to withdraw this prosecution so that the burden borne by JAINJ in this world becomes lighter, and more importantly, JAINJ does not have to bear a heavier burden in the Hereafter.
Hizb ut Tahrir has been working and carrying out da’wah since 1953 throughout the world with all kinds of obstacles and obstructions that have never broken the spirit of its members, no matter how heavy and difficult they are. Hizb ut Tahrir will continue to work without rest until the laws of Allah (swt) are established entirely on this earth under the shade of the Righteous Caliphate upon the method of the Prophethood. We, the members of Hizb ut Tahrir have sworn to Allah (swt) that we will never stop our effort to establish His Deen until He (swt) grant us victory or He (swt) invites us to Him.
Abdul Hakim Othman
Spokesperson of Hizb ut Tahrir in Malaysia
Monday, 05th Dhul Qi’dah 1440 AH
Ref: HTM 1440 / 09